The Best Way to Clean Silver Jewelry
Some of our favourite sterling silver pieces sit in our jewelry box because we think that they have tarnished or are permanently discolored. Without daily wear, sterling silver jewelry has the tendency to appear dirty when it has been sitting around exposed to oxygen for too long. This is due to a chemical bond that is created... #science. Did you ever notice your grandmother keeping her silver pieces in a ziplock bag in her jewelry box? This is why! Did you skip that step while you weren't wearing your pieces? Well, so did we.. and we are here with some great news! You can fix this at home with simple ingredients you already have on hand! There is no need to purchase special cleaning solution, although if you want to, you go girl! But for the girls on a budget, or if you want to save a buck or two, all you will need to make your jewelry looking fresh again are some things you already have at home. If a simple soap and water clean does not work, try this instead!
Baking Soda (2 Tablespoons)
Vinegar (1/2 cup)
1) Take a small bowl and combine the 2 Tablespoons of Baking Soda and 1/2 Cup of Vinegar.
2) Place your tarnished or discolored sterling silver jewelry pieces in the bowl
3) Soak your pieces in the bowl for 2-3 hours, we like to set a timer so we don't forget to take them out!
4) Rub with a cloth, and for those small detailed areas use a SOFT toothbrush, extra soft soft toothbrush. If you don't have one on hand we do not recommend using any toothbrush you have at home as this may cause damage.
5) Now you're ready to rinse, pat dry with a lint free cloth, and allow to air dry for another hour or so until completely dry.
6) Enjoy your freshly cleaned piece of sterling silver jewelry!
Have you tried this method? Let us know how it worked out for you in the comment section below!